Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Andrea's Soundtrack for the Rapture Mix part 1




This epic mixtape was created for you by the lovely and amazingly talented artist and musician, Andrea Paschal ... and it's only part ONE of a lengthy "double album soundtrack" of sorts designed around the whole rapture / end of the world business that was supposed to hit us all back in May on the 21st, but thankfully did NOT!



Even listening to the entirety of disc 1 of this two-part epic mix was truly an overwhelming and pretty amazing experience for me ... so get ready!!!


When Andrea gave me the discs a few days ago at Bottletree, she described to me the inspiration behind the mix and it was really beautiful how she put it ... On that note, here is Andrea herself to explain :

"After hearing about the news of Harold Camping’s approaching Rapture date:May 21st 2011 (Strangely enough just after into watching the series Aftermath: Population Zero) I was immediately intrigued…and inspired. It had been awhile since I had sat down to make a good mix….and this was just the sort of thing to really get me going.
When I sit down to make a mix, often times I have a certain person in mind… or sometimes it is just stuff I am into at the moment …but every once in awhile that mix is created to or tell a story…. whether it is real or made up…to capture a specific feeling or memory that I want to have forever (music is so vital to me for that).
Those mixes are, to me , always the most fun!
So… I set out to create the perfect Rapture Mix…you know… just in case!
While I was making it, I thought about Mr. Camping’s Rapture. You know, the one with the horses and the demons and thecoming of Jesus and all of that fun stuff… but if you look up the definition of rapture you will see the other two definitions (don’t worry I went to the trouble for you):

rap·ture (rpchr)
n.

1. The state of being transported by a lofty emotion; ecstasy.
2. An expression of ecstatic feeling. Often used in the plural.
3. The transporting of a person from one place to another, especially to heaven.


As I began compiling my tunes, I began to notice that there was a story forming in my mind and it was some sort of a crazy love story at that. A story that would encompass all of the definitions of the word Rapture .But this was definitely not the kind with a happy ending(I mean…. how could it be right?) no… this was a definitely a tragic story.
a scene from one of my favorite books Tess of the D’Urbervilles came to mind…
The scene at the end of the book where Tess and Angel have waited all this time to be together and they are totally doomed, but they get that one last night to be together at the ever so mysterious Stonehenge….



So I guess while I was making my mix I was thinking about what it would be like to be in this state of rapture with someone else in the middle of THE Rapture. Here you have these two people that are stuck in this really intense moment while the world is ending and there is all of this really crazy and scary yet beautiful stuff that is happening around them….
Maybe that would be in fact just perfect, because those kinds of moments can never really last…. except in our dreams and in our memories.
This mix was intended to be the soundtrack for those final moments and the ones leading up to them.
Oh and I should mention…I got a little crazy with the track list…..
Once I had everything sequenced the way I liked….I started looking at the titles and noticed that part of the story was already there. I love a good challenge so, I decided to see if I could connect the titles and write a little story or what ever you want to call it by connecting everything together…sort of Mad Lib style.
*The little numbers next to the song titles are so that you can reference the artist
Don’t worry though…. In my Rapture, there is a little bit of everything…of course there is hell and horses and the demons and the tragedy and the spells …but most importantly there is dancing too!!! (and costume design would of course be by the late and great Lee Alexander McQueen… "



and Mr. Tom Ford….



And a little help from Alber too!!!




So here you have it: Soundtrack for the Rapture: Part 1
Music for the end of the world…for you to enjoy!
I hope you like it!
xoxo,
a.m.p.

The Rapture: A love letter of sorts….
Part 1: disc one
It’s the Rapture1, so why don’t you Save Me2?
Or… you can just lay there and Be Stiff3 cause we’re Human After All4.
We are stuck here in this House of Jealous Lovers5,
and all I can think to ask myself is: What Would Wolves Do6?
Even if we ever do get out of there…Where In the World Can We Hide7?
Seems there’s a Crimewave8 running along the River Styx9.
I can’t quite put my finger on it, but you know everyone’s got a Devil Inside 10,
and believe it or not, just like you…I Bleed 11.
A Christ Pendant Comfort her Neck12, but did nothing to protect her
from the mysterious man marked with the number 6669 (I don’t know if you Know)13.
I’ll be Running up that Hill14 to find those Waters of Nazareth15
and on this Fright Night16 of all nights, that is where you will find me.
In my favorite red dress with my Black Cat17 waiting there for you.
Now we are completely Spellbound18
because we just heard the news…
Bela Lugosie Is Dead19.



And here is the list of the artists for each song =




And finally ... drum roll, please ... Here is Andrea's "Soundtrack for the Rapture" ... PART ONE ...

ENJOY!!!





If you'd like to download the mix, you can do so, RIGHT HERE.





******************************************************************************



Well, I'm all moved into my place ... and Charley seems pretty happy to be out of the old place =








******************************************************************************




Now for a couple of random but exciting points of interest ...


A.

Jacki Sullivan recently posted this on fb (thanks!) ... a site called "8tracks.com", which advertises itself as "hand crafted internet radio" and is chock-full of mixtapes just like the ones that appear on this very blog! Check out the awesomeness RIGHT HERE.


B.

My new favorite artist is the Russian illustrator, Iv Orlov ... I can't get enough of his unique vision of the world! Dig it HERE.


C.

I dunno if you know it or not, but I love and admire the music of jazz composer, Duke Ellington ... I have a HUGE collection of his stuff on vinyl, tapes and CDs ... Aaanywaaay, my very good friend, John Wendel sent me great and entertaining piece about Duke and Paris ... Enjoy it RIGHT HERE. Thanks, John!




******************************************************************************



And for the VIDEO portion of this week's blog, may I once again present the one and only Andrea Paschal! Take it away, Andrea ...



"I have such distinct memories of the first time I saw this video as a kid…I remember feeling a little scared, but at the same time thought everything about it was so cool…I realize looking back how much this video and song shaped so much of everything i love today.




Can’t get enough of these guys… come see them this Saturday at Bottletree!!!




I am STILL obsessed with this song….also loved all of the white in this performance.




Okay I don’t just like Nick Cave…I LOVE Nick Cave, everything he does….seems just fine with me and somehow he even keeps getting better with age…like a fine wine…however I don’t think ole’ Nick ever looked cooler than he did right here:




didn’t have a great video here….but i like that neon…. And i love this track







and of course…always and forever…K.B.





















No comments:

Post a Comment