Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ides Of March Mix



This mixtape just might be perfect for =

A. Getting a ton of early Spring cleaning done
B. Enjoying the 1st picnic of the year
C. Searching for four-leaf clovers
D. Taking photos of the great outdoors
E. Aimlessly driving or riding all over the place



So ... why the Ides of March? Why not? (Way back when, the term "ides" was used for the 15th day of the months of March, May, July, and October, and the 13th day of the other months.) I like just how many Tuesdays this year have happened to fall on special days or occasions ... next Tuesday will be just after the Spring equinox and I WISH that April Fool's Day fell on a Tuesday, but alas ... no! Apparently, we can't have everything ...


I love when this time of year starts, and I originally was gonna call this mix "Spring Cleaning Mix" because I've not only recently been doing exactly that around the house, but I realized that I have a folder on my desktop titled "Future Mixes" that has been slowly been filling up for months and months now and so I consciously dug through those songs and did a bit of cleaning in that area ... that more or less explains this mixtape ... I had a lot of fun making it, I must confess ... Yes, the March madness is upon me!


The tracks are included on the mix description and in the download ...



So ... here it is ... ENJOY!!!!!!! =










And as always, you can download the mix RIGHT HERE.






******************************************************************************************




And as a bonus warm weather surprise, I've included this amazing mix by Cold Cave's Wesely Eisold that I encountered yesterday on the Altered Zones site ...



You can enjoy it BY GOING HERE.







******************************************************************************************





In a bit of unnerving news, my friend and fellow musician Jonny of Man Or Astroman? is really REALLY sick with pneumonia ...


Jonny is on the left



Brian Teasley posted the following on facebook:

"Jonny Browning from Man or Astro-Man? is still in dire condition and unable to breathe on his own. He got pneumonia at the end of the last Man Or Astroman tour and developed a staff infection that has resisted antibiotics so his lungs are basically not functioning and filled with fluid. He's been in critical condition in the ICU for over a week now. We are hoping for the best for him. One thing is that like many musicians he is without health insurance. If you would like to help donate to the fund we're doing for him to help offset the immense medical bills he and his family now have, there is a paypal account: victorvector33@gmail.com. Thanks for your kindness."


Please donate some $$$ to ease Jonny's burdons ... all you do is go to the paypal site and send money to the above email address ...



Also, THIS COMING Saturday, local bands Nowhere Squares (my band), Giant Magic, & Nightmare Waterfall will be playing a benefit show for Jonny at Bottletree ... Come out and support!




******************************************************************************************





Last Tuesday nite, Ryan (who has recently & gloriously moved to Birmingham!!!) and I went to the very rainy, yet very wonderful Mardi Gras parade on 20th Street South ... It was Birmingham's 1st Mardi Gras parade since 1901 and it was a ton of fun!
















******************************************************************************************






Ever seen these rather pathetically hilarious hand-painted-on-cardboard signs for something called "123 Clown" ?






Well last week on facebook, Walt Creel drew my attention to their WEBSITE ... Yikes! One day I should scare Ryan by sending him one of their creepy "singing telegrams" ... But then again, no ... cuz maybe he'd never forgive me ... haha






******************************************************************************************






Once again kids, it's the Psychic Tuesday Video Show!!!






I so love this new one from Foxes In Fiction =






Laura sent me (thanks!) this disturbing new video by Deerhoof saying:
"a. this is a fantastic video and b. it's incredibly creepy-timely with Japan's current events " =






Speaking of Japan, Elise posted these awesome yet tragic before/after aerial photos of the earthquake/tsunami disaster landscape ... thanks, E!



Kurt Vile's new album is hands-down amazing ... Here he is on the What's In My Bag? show =




I love Cloud Nothings and hope I see that they're playing Bottletree soooon =



Speaking of love, I can't get enough of PJ Harvey's new one ... Here's a video for one of it's tracks, "The Glorious Land" =




Roy Burns sent me this mental classic by Planet P and I always remember the end of it sorta warped my brain ... haha ... thanks, Roy! =




Since we're on a brain-warping kick, we might as well indulge in some early 80's Cabaret Voltaire =




Dig this suave guitar action from Mahib-Man Marde =







And now, here's some smile-inducing desserts for you ...



Ryan posted this bizarre CGI alien dance video (thanks!) ... I like that her hair is so stiff that it sometimes penetrates her entire body! haha =




Jennifer Harrell recently posted a new video from the real-life Gummo wonder, "babe25" ... It's like watching a train wreck ... She makes me cringe with disgust and yet I find myself still watching ... argh! ... cheers, Jennifer! =




Matthew Goodin posted this magical Paula Deen collage ... danke, Matt! =




And last but not least, Ryan sent me this crazy "Toe Jam" video by The BPA (feat. David Byrne & Dizzee Rascal) ... gracias!!! =





















No comments:

Post a Comment