Tuesday, January 17, 2012

How To Listen To Now 2011

























I'm like 2 weeks behind in getting this out, but whatever! Time to celebrate the shit-ton of grrrreat sounds that came out during 2011!


It's funny ... I've made these "How To Listen To Now" best-of-each-year mixtapes for what ... 6 years now ... and it's strange just how very difficult the task is to gather up in one single, solid mix all of the good music that I've encountered during the course of an entire year ...


So often in hindsight I end up either regretting some of the song choices I included OR discovering a band or an album after the fact and wishing it had been on the mix. ARGH!!!


As silly as it sounds, last year when getting HTLTN 2010 together, an actual deciding factor in picking out the songs was whether or not each one had a music video or not! And that decision was founded simply because I knew I was presenting the mix on this blog and I thought it'd be cool if each one also had an exciting visual counterpart ... (It just happened to also help me narrow down the list of which songs to include) ...


As I recall, I ended up regretting it because SO many great songs from last year just didn't have a video ... and as a result, I feel like the mix doesn't truly reflect what I was enjoying musically that year ...


SOOOOO ... This year I decided to just be completely honest and include anything and everything that I felt was a powerful sonic experience for me ... I wanted to be able to listen to the mix years from now and be able to not only enjoy the songs for themselves, but to also celebrate the particular memories I have attached with each song and remember what I was doing and how I was feeling the very 1st time I heard each one ... and oddly enough not all, but many of my choices just happen to have accompanying music videos ... so YAY!


But enough of my sentimental jabbering! Here's the mix already!
How To Listen To Now 2011 ... As always ... ENJOY!!! =






Wanna download the mix?
Well, you can HERE.





************************************************************************************************






Speaking of 2011 music, one of my favorite music blogs is Aquarium Drunkard, and they did an epic 2011 year in review, listing TONS of great albums, along with song samples from each one ... Check out the coolness RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW.





And speaking of cool, Laura Ledbetter (who's contributed many a marvelous mix to Psychic Tuesday, btw!) has a totally excellent treasure chest of a blog ... chock-full of amazing photos, videos and incredibly interesting what-nots! You can dig it all HERE.





************************************************************************************************





And now may I present ... 2011 : the year in videos!!!



The Drums "Money" =




Tuneyards "Bizness" =




David Lynch "Good Day Today" =




Crystal Stilts "Sycamore Tree" live =




Peaking Lights "Tiger Eyes (Laid Back)" =




no video for Tom Waits' song "Bad As Me", but this 'Listening Party' clip is pretty damned excellent (and funny) !!! =




John Maus "Believer" =




PJ Harvey "The Words That Maketh Murder" =




no video for Girls Names "Cut Up", but here's one for their song "Bury Me" =




no video for Cloud Nothings' "Been Through" but here's one for their song "Should Have" =




Ty Segall "You Make The Sun Fry" live =




The War On Drugs "Baby Missiles" =




Panda Bear "Slow Motion" =




no video for Julian Lynch's "Canopy" but here's one for his song "Back" =




Washed Out "Eyes Be Closed" =




M83 "Steve McQueen" live =




The Soft Moon "Circles" =




Radiohead "Lotus Flower" =




Dirty Beaches "Lord Knows Best" =




Kurt Vile "Jesus Fever" =




Julianna Barwick "The Magic Place" =







Wow ... That was a LOT of videos!
Now for a small, but satisfying double-decker dessert ...




Seth Persons recently posted this classic Nick At Nite commercial saying :
"I can barely remember what I ate for breakfast yesterday, but I can remember all the words to a Nick at Nite commercial that aired when I was twelve." Haha ... cheers, Seth! =




And Justin Cordes posted this crazy and funny Turkish Dr. Who thingy ... thanks, J-unit! =


























No comments:

Post a Comment