Tuesday, June 22, 2010

J.'s Summer Cut Mix


This totally sun-filled mixtape was created for you by the unsurpassable Mr. J. Whitson who you may know or have heard because of the godsend-of-an-Alabama-TV-show that he and his brother Matt have blessed us all with, We Have Signal ... and if you haven't yet seen any of the episodes, then you'd better GET WITH IT!

Each show is beautifully filmed at Bottletree Cafe and showcases a different amazing band, be it national or local ... such as Deerhunter, Beach House, Dexateens, Melt Banana, Camera Obscura, Teen Getaway, Black Lips, Jeff The Brotherhood and Dan Deacon, just to name a few ... You can also watch the shows via vimeo.com HERE. DO IT!!!

J.'s mix is perfectly themed for the 1st mix of the HOT season ... I asked him if he had anything to say about it and he replied:

I have essentially nothing to describe my mix - which was why I didn't just pound something out before I went to dinner. Let's say it "has songs from my youth that remind me of drives down Shelby County roads out of Montevallo into Pea Ridge and points beyond and a bunch of more recent stuff that I wish reminded me of something." I could give a song-by-song breakdown but that seems in poor taste (and would take too long).

Nice ... So get out that ugly colorful beach towel, crack open a cold one, pass the tanning butter and TURN IT UP ... cuz it's now officially SUMMER!

Thanks, J. !!!


*******************************************************************************

Okay, first things first ... My website is now finally done, more or less (minus a few tweaks here and there) ... I am ever so grateful for the immense help and web expertise of Jonathan Purvis = go see his incredible art show at Bottletree this Thursday!!!!!!! Thanks, Jon!!!



ALSO, my art has been recently featured in the Summer issue of Bard Cole's online magazine, Six Little Things ... check it!

and HERE are some photos from the Signs Of Our Times group art show I recently participated in at Naked Art Gallery

I also painted moons all over the picnic table in the "backstage" band area of Bottletree:


*******************************************************************************


Even though he lives far away (Montgomery), I was also lucky enough to get to hang out with Ryan TWICE in one week! We had an excellent time at the river and then later saw Montgomery rockers Rudy Banes Breakup and No at Eclipse in Montevallo ...

... sigh ...


*******************************************************************************


I also spent the week working on new stuff for a gallery I show at in South Carolina called Aster Hall:



*******************************************************************************


And now ... some videos for you:


something incredible by Walls:


something cute by The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart:


something live-ish by Tame Impala:


something old but memorable by Juliana Hatfield:


something completely but wonderfully fuckt by Ghengis Tron:



Lastly we have a double dose of dessert!

1st up, here's a delicious SAUSAGE COMPLAINT! haha!!!
(thanks,Tony!!!) :


and finally, here's a sickly-sweet slab of GLOW Show Rap!
(thank you, Marla!!!) :












No comments:

Post a Comment