Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hade's "B" Book Mix


I never throw away mixtapes (or CDs) that my friends have given me and it's always exciting when I sift through them all and occassionally pop one in, just to see what secret forgotten treasures might be hiding on them ...




This mixtape was "created for you" by my long-lost friend from college, Jeff Nesmith, whom I haven't seen in many, many moons ... I think he lives in New York now ... Anyway, like Ian's Shuckhuckster Mix from earlier this year, this mix was ripped from an actual cassette tape that Jeff had given to me back in the day ...




I dunno why, but for some reason, inbetween some of songs he reads pages from a Dr. Seuss book, which always makes me laugh ... Musically, it sort of breathes in and out of different genres, which I think is one thing that makes it so playable ... one minute you have Billie Holiday crooning and the next thing you know, Ministry is literally screaming into yer ear!!!




I remember it was around this time of year when Jeff gave me the tape ... so both the cover and the music always make me think of dead leaves and cemeteries and Autumn in general ... So it just felt appropriate to share this personal nugget from my past with you on a Tuesday in October ... Maybe you can listen to it while trying to decide what to be for Halloween ...





At any rate, here it is, in all it's REAL LIVE TAPE-HISS GLORY!!!





Enjoy!!! Thanks, Jeff ... where ever you are!






***********************************************************************







First off, I recently chanced upon my dear friend, Tantra's bi-annual experimental writing journal, which is pretty awesome ... This issue contains some really great poems by one Howie Good ... I really dig his surrealistic sense of humor!






***********************************************************************





This past weekend Ryan and I headed down south to Mobile ...



Dauphin Island at sunset =








Cemetery high jinks =















Speaking of cemetery high jinks, Ryan told me about this video while we were at the cemetery, then later he sent me the link ... I have no words =











Elise's "When I Grow Up" themed Halloween party was very much a blast ...




Her husband Marc was a space man ... she was a princess =



Ryan and I were priests ... siamese, if you please =








***********************************************************************





Up next ... VIDEO ROUND-UP !!!







I can't get enough of this new Holy Fuck video =



And this one by Flying Lotus blows my mind just a little bit =


A sort of depressing tribute to Kazuo Ohno by Antony & The Johnsons =




The Fresh & Onlys =


Tim Sommer (ex-Hugo Largo member) posted this amazing really early Kraftwerk stuff on facebook (thanks, Tim!) =


Then I found another golden oldie (I love the audience's reactions) =




Here's three for Ryan =
1.


2.


3.

Speaking of Ryan, he posted this 'un by Shining Path ... They'll be playing with my band, Nowhere Squares and Ryan's band, Three Happenin Guys October 30th at Eclipse in Montevallo =



For dessert, Rosie McGuire posted this insane Paula Deen shite that's both funny and scary (thanks, Rosie!) =


And for round 2, Eric McGinty posted this rather amazing tidbit called "Smells Like Rockin' Robin" ... I describe it as "laugh out loud brilliant" ... Thanks, Eric! =






























No comments:

Post a Comment