Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Defaced Mix


This mixtape just might be perfect for:

A. throwing caution to the wind
B. taking risks and chances
C. making a conscious change, big or small
D. rearranging a room
E. catching leaves before they reach the ground


I had fun making this playlist ... it was a good way to clear my head after certain events ... I named it so because of what's on the cover ... Let me describe what happened using my latest facebook status update:


‎(my profile pic is photographic evidence of what some kind soul added to the Hank Williams portrait I did for the bathroom stall of the Bottletree men's room ... thanks, you pathetically ignorant a-hole)


Anyway, to say the least, it was a rather upsetting experience seeing one of my works defaced in such a way (there was even worse stuff written on Hank's hat) ...


I'm actually thinking about having an art show where I ask folks to deface the paintings and then I'd photo-document the slowly growing layers of graffiti ... haha




Well, HERE's the mix in all it's glory ... ENJOY!!!





******************************************************************




Happy October!!! my favorite month has finally arrived!!!





Speaking of the 1oth month, here's a poem by one of my all-time favorite poets:




October Paint

by Carl Sandburg


Flame blue wisps in the west,

Wrap yourselves in these leaves

And speak to winter about us.

Tell winter the whole story.


Red leaves up the oaken slabs,

You came little and green spats

Four months ago; your climbers

Put scroll after scroll around

The oaken slabs, "Red, come red,"

Some one with an October paint

Pot said, And here you are,

Fifty red arrowheads of leaf paint

Or fifty mystic fox footprints

Or fifty pointed thumbprints.

Hold on, the winds are to come

Blowing, blowing, the gray slabs

Will lose you, the winds will

Flick you away in a whiff

One by one, two by two... Yet

I have heard a rumor whispered;

Tattlers tell it to each other

Like a secret everybody knows...

Next year you will come again.

Up the oaken slabs you will put

Your pointed fox footprints

Green in the early summer

And you will be red arrowheads

In the falltime... Tattlers

Slip this into each other's ears

Like a secret everybody knows.

... If I see some one with an

October paint pot I shall be

Full of respect and say,

"I saw your thumbprints everywhere,

How do you do it?"






******************************************************************



A couple of nights ago, on one of my walks I chanced upon Jason Barker on his bike and he told me that the one man band, Gull (an amazing experience you'd have to see to believe!) was about to play the 1st ever outdoor show at Magic City Wholesale ... so I wandered over there and it was pretty damned incredible!







HERE is an mp3 of the 1st song he did for yer listening pleasure.






******************************************************************





Saturday evening, my band Nowhere Squares had their 1st practice in 2 1/2 years! Andy Sizemore is our awesome new bass player ... It went really well! We're playing a Halloween show October 3oth with Three Happening Guys and Shining Path at Eclipse in Montevallo ... Can't wait!!!











******************************************************************






Not many videos to show this week, but the ones I found are pretty swell ...





a crazy new one from Foals:





Nowhere Squares drummer, Spin sent me this amazing one by Thee Headcoats (cheers!)... we wanna do a cover it!



My man Ryan posted this 'un (thanks!!!) ... It is both quite amazing and extremely informative:



And for dessert, Jonathan Purvis posted this ridiculous Olsen Twins bullshit! mmm mmm!!! thanks for the laughs, Jon!!!























No comments:

Post a Comment