Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Thrift Store Vinyl Radio program 13 (33 1/3)

























Haha! I had a ton of fun creating this latest edition of Thrift Store Vinyl Radio ... It basically consists of songs from 45 inch singles played at the wrong (slow) speed, 33 1/3 ... This, of course makes each song sound not only completely different, but in many cases (especially instrumental cases) I think it actually makes the song a little better than when it's played at the correct speed ... haha!


I was inspired to make such a playlist on 2 different occasions ... the 1st was when Weston Flippo posted a 33 1/3 (slowed down) instrumental version of The Human League's "Don't You Want Me Baby" on facebook and I found it pretty astonishing ...It sounded a little like some Chillwave band that would have come out these days.


The 2nd occasion was when Ryan and I were just lying around playing a bunch of his 45's ... He put on this one Zombies record and it wasn't until the very end of the song that either of us realized it was on the wrong speed cuz it sounded so cool on 33 1/3! I actually started the whole radio show with that particular song.


Thanks, Weston and Ryan for the inspiration!


So, with no further ado ... Prepare yourself for Thrift Store Vinyl Radio program 13 ... "33 1/3" ... As always, E N J O Y !!!





You may download the show right HERE.




***********************************************************************************************






And now for a few more amazing mixes that I recently found ...





1st up is this incredible mixtape by Mo Kolours that was originally released last year on Wax Poetics ... The best thing about this one is that it really allows you to hear what influences Mo Kolours' own music ... You can read more about the mix and see the track list RIGHT HERE.




I also chanced upon these 2 grrreat mixes by Kwes. They're both named after teas (as are all of his "mixthings" and I find them wonderfully enjoyable :











***********************************************************************************************






>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>VIDEOS ARE NOW<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<






1stly, Ryan sent me this one by Zebra Katz and it is sooo good (and darkly funny!) ... I really love just how minimal the music is ... Thanks, R! =




And since I posted that Mo Kolours' mixtape earler, I thought I'd include one of his videos ... this one for the awesome song, "Biddies" =




Wow. I so dig this new one from Modeselektor =




Elise sent this fantastic animal-headed "ballet" by Daniel Savio ... Thanky, E! =




And Trevor Dane posted this crrraaaazzzy bit of retroness by Jimmy Caston ... Cheers! =




I love Grass Widow (One of my favorite bands of 2010) so here are 2 great videos by them! =






Gotta love the dancing in this new one from Tanlines! haha =




Ryan sent me this bit of wickedly weirdness care of Pwin Teaks ... Cheers, R! =




And Mimi Alidor sent me this bit of strange beauty called "Honeybee" by Steam Powered Giraffe ... Merci, Mimi! =









Dessert, anyone???





This hilarious Portlandia segment stars Joanna Newsom, along with Grass Widow (they play some of the hippies at the beginning!) =




Lee Dunnie recently posted this ridiculous Cheech & Chong cartoon, "Basketball Jones" ... Danke, Lee!!! =




Craig Stroud sent me this sweetly sarcastic "Angry Birds" robot clip ... Gracias, Craig! =




Haha! This "Funny or Die ... Drunk History: Nikola Tesla" piece that Ryan sent me is definitely laugh-out-loud funny ... especially the lip-syncing parts! Thanks, Ryan!!! =





And speaking of Ryan, I thought I'd wrap things up with this laughably bad video that he sent me by Y Cant Tori Read ... Yikes! Haha!!! Enjoy the cheese! =































No comments:

Post a Comment