Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Laura Ledbetter presents Blush + Bliss



This week we have a most wonderfully excellent mixtape created for you by the very lovely Laura Ledbetter! You can check out Laura's blog (full of outstanding photos, art and other nifties) RIGHT HERE.

Here's Laura herself to tell you all about her incredible mix:

When Paul asked me to do a new mix for the blog I worried that I wouldn't have much to contribute this time around. But I proved myself wrong and actually made maybe my favorite yet. (Of course I think that every time I make one. ) Paul mentioned digging into my past to show what inspires my current tastes and I said that would make me Blush and shudder thinking of how much annoying music is in my past. I liked the concept so I started shaping the idea and instead came up with the Blush + Bliss mix that takes some of my core early interests and pairs them with later discoveries, creating a blushy and blissful experience of true earphone-listening quality. It's all very good-- but be on the look out for lots of experimental and campy electronica; a couple of very striking but loud, long pieces that may stretch the patience of some (doubters I dare you to follow through to the end); there's also some decent saxophone work on a great song-- but unless in the proper context of classic Jazz, saxophone music usually makes me cringe with nervous embarrassment (especially if there are people around!); there are songs with unusual sound effects and the occasional cd-skip; songs with poetic embarrassment and the lyrical, dreary droll of everyday situations; and some songs that are just so instrumentally profound that on your little rosy cheeks you will feel the pink crawl of blush and bliss. 


And now, with no further ado, get ready for some blissful blushing! 
Thanks again, Laura! 





You may download the misxtape right HERE!







here are 2 scraps of


1. 

1st up, below is a brief sample of my brother Peter's brilliant art animated by the ever-amazing Chris Stewart! Yes! Stay tuned for more!

2.
This past week, one of my favorite band's, Deerhunter were on Fallon playing the title track from their upcoming album, "Monomania"!  The end is the best! Wait for it! haha






Hey! What do ya know?!
Laura picked out ALL of this week's videos (even the dessert ones!)!!!

Take it away, Laura!

Blush-worthy Videos from some of the musicians on the mix, plus some extras that I didn't want to leave out because they are so unique:



A very early Magnetic Fields vid



John Maus: Cop Killers



A very unusual and fantastic Kraftwerk live TV show performance:   (love this!) 



Punky Nina Hagen



PlayMobil figures performing as Joy Division on Peel







Foreign Videos for
that are bad enough to make you blush+cringe 


For Peter and Paul to remind you of your special German 'Twinnie' heritage: 



A really weird +bizarre Nice Piece called Nice Peace from David 



Introducing the awesome tight pant wearing guys of Die Flippers



And --Finally-- a danceable German dance rap from David's new favorite, famous German celeb-kook, Heino.









Laura went over and beyond the call of duty! 
All of the fantastic photos below were taken by her!











No comments:

Post a Comment