Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Grey Cloud Interludes Mix


This mixtape will be perfect for:
A. staring into space
B. wearing pajamas all day long
C. reveries
D. waiting for Halloween
E. walking or driving or riding on a chilly day

HERE it is for your rather ambient and slightly surreal pleasure.

*********************************************************

Halloween approaches ... slowly, but surely! I decorated the other day, evidence of which can be viewed in the photos below ... It rained and stayed grey here for a good 2 weeks and for the past couple of days it's been rather chilly ... for once, we're actually getting a true Autumn here in the South! hurrah!!!

I finally finished a portrait that Alley Bulka commissioned me to do of her dear mother, who passed away recently ... she bought it yesterday and told me that it "looks just like her" ... here is a detail from it (the chin looks a little dirty in this photo ... i've since "cleaned" that up ... haha) :



And that "featured artist" article on Spencer Shoults, in which I did the video documentary for Pavo Magazine came out recently ... you can view it RIGHT HERE.

I don't have much else to say except that I'm working on paintings for the upcoming Moss Rock art festival now and not much else!


*********************************************************


One other thing ... yesterday on Facebook, my friend David left this as his "status update":

David Phipps cringes when someone uses the word "human" as a noun.


to which I quoted Morrissey in my reply:

as opposed to "i am human and i need to be loved"


He then responded:

Correct. It can be used as a pronoun, like Morrissey via Paul in the famous quote above. ("human" modifying the subject "I") However, if Morrissey were to have placed an "a" in front of this pronoun, then he would have turned it into a noun and I would be crying in my soup. Now, if he were to have preceded "human" with an "a" and followed it with the noun "being", then he would have made it an adjective and would be correct in doing so. If he had simply stated, "I am a self-absorbed, complaining, son-of-an effeminate window dresser who sings through his nose.", then he would also be right and correct.


I thought it was funny how lengthy this retort was and wrote:

i like imagining you saying this last bit in William S. Burroughs' voice! haha


Now, if you've never heard William S. Burroughs read before, his voice is sort of nasal and pinched-sounding ... here's an example of it (and how surreally perverse his mind worked!):




Aaanywaaaay, I actually recorded myself reading the retort, imitating Burroughs ... it's right HERE if you wanna listen!








No comments:

Post a Comment