Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Sudden Chill Mix


This mixtape will be perfect for:

A. not wanting to get out of bed because it's too chilly
B. celebrating Autumn with a thick sweater
C. driving around with yer arm out the window
D. sipping hot tea or coffee
E. lounging around in a robe and slippers

HERE is the mix, in all of it's nippy glory.

*************************************

This week was a bit of a crazy week, full of art shows, openings and music ... First of all there was the Log Lady (Twin Peaks) art show at Bottletree ... there was a ton of great Twin Peaks themed art (view some of the works way down below), along with plenty of donuts, cherry pie and damned fine coffee ... Elise made some log lady necklaces and Rachel Gainer made a puffy cloth log that actually spoke when you squeezed it! I'm happy to say that all three of my Twin Peaks paintings sold! the "Bob" one even sold to a metal band called Weedeater, who played Bottletree the nite before ... photos of the paintings are below:





Friday nite was John Fields and Pat Snow's art opening at the Bare Hands gallery ... it was also pretty awesome ... John used his friends as subject matter for his paintings ... below, he poses with the portrait he did of me:



After that opening, Walker played a show at Bottletree with his friend Isidro, and i was pretty amazed at how much he's improved as a musician and singer...

The next day & nite were very busy for me because I took part in a one-night-only art show put on by the Birmingham Art Collective ... each time the show takes place in a different area, and this time it took place on the 3rd story of an old building in Woodlawn ... it was crazy (and exhausting!) carrying all of my stuff up 50 stairs every time! There was also some stupid drama about another artist getting her panties in a wad because I'd been told to set up where her jellyfish thing-a-ma-jig was supposed to be hanging, so I had to completely re-set my stuff up ... argh! However, it all ended up turning out really great and I not only got to hang out with my friend Dustin, but Peter showed up too with some wine and I even saw Chris Lawson and sold a good number of paintings ... so ... yay!

Lastly, on Sunday nite I went to see Dan Deacon at Bottletree and his show was absolutely stunning and so much fun ... there was lots of group participation and dancing and just pure warmth and excitement, even though outside it was cold and pouring down rain ... I included photos fom that way down below!

*************************************

so I've been obsessing over some bands, lately ... and, even though Deerhunter's album "Microcastle" came out around a year ago, it seems that, because of this sudden Fall weather, I CANNOT stop listening to it! In that way, it is a very wonderful experience from start to finish ... anyway, in case you love Deerhunter too, or would enjoy learning more about them, I found a live interview and performance of their song "Little Kids" ... here are those:





This weather is also causing me to obsess over the music of Fever Ray (she's the female half of the Swedish band, The Knife) ... Her 1st album came out this year and is pretty phenomenal ... Her videos are particularly enticing (I included the creepy video to "Seven" a couple of posts back) ... anyway, dig these ... they're all dark, brooding and perfect for this time of year:




Lastly, I found this great live performance of Grizzly Bear's "I Live With You" in a mausoleum from the show "Cemetery Gates" ... it not only sounds immaculate, but the film work is equally great:










No comments:

Post a Comment