Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jim's "Only The Echoes Of My Mind" Mix



This mixtape is the awesome second half of a brilliant two-parter created by none other than Mr. James Pee Fahy ... I'm still trying to figure out exactly who that is up there on the cover! Here's Jim now to give you the low-down:

My second Psychic Tuesday mix, “Only The Echoes of My Mind” is the more introspective of the two discs. You may infer some sort of narrative from this disc… I certainly had one in mind while making it -- however vague it may (and should) seem.

2009 was hard for me… A year of deep questioning and depression… Some of which steadfastly remains. Still, this disc looks to the future with a sense of elation… And radio static.

A few track notes: You’ll notice the return of both Vic Chesnutt and Luna. Vic is one of my musical heroes. I still can’t bear that he’s gone. Dean Wareham, who is still thankfully among us, is another. So many of my mixes end up with some sort of Wareham-related track. Can’t help it: The man has made a ton of great music. The two tracks before the intermission are by the late, great Junior Kimbrough (I’ve been on a kick). “Pagans” is from Birmingham band, Imaginary Planes, lovely debut. This track is particularly beautiful… It also reminds me of a Tuscaloosa band that my friend, John Wendel, put on mix tape for me years ago, but I’ve since lost the case and can’t recall their name (Thoughts?). Finally, Glossary are big time Teen Getaway pals from Murfreesboro, TN. Their latest album, Feral Fire, is now available, as is an LP release of their previous record, The Better Angels of Our Nature. You’d do well to own both.

Don’t forget that both this disc and “I Am The Ghost of Just This Moment” will each fit on their own CD. I think it’s better to listen to it this way -- especially if you’re driving. But whatever your listening habits, I hope you enjoy both of these special mixes.

Thanks again to Paul C. Wilm for letting me play along.

Onward,

--jim.



You can promptly indulge in this exquisite mix HERE. 3 cheers for Jim!

****************************************************************

Alas, I FINALLY got around to making hard copies of the "How To Listen To Now 2009" mix ... it took extra long this time because I kept running into weird volume issues etc ... it really put me face to face with just how much of a damned perfectionist I can be with some things! arghh!!! Anyway, I'm glad I'm done with em and can now hand em out to folks ...


Speaking of being finally done with something, I'd been commissioned to paint a pig and a bunny on two bathroom doors for Coby & Cindy Lake, and all I needed to do to finish them this weekend was to clear-coat them on my porch ... Well, all it did the whole weekend was rain, rain, RAIN! so instead I spent my daylight hours arduously working on a grant application for the Alabama State On The Arts (I'm STILL not finished with that!) ... I was finally able to clear-coat the doors and sell them today so ... yippeeee for that!


oh yeah ... on more thing ... I was watching this British show called "The Midsomer Murders" and decided to sample some music from one part of the program ... then I looped it and added some choice audio bits I'd recorded from the festivities during last New Year's Eve ... among these is Carrie talking, me laughing, my brother Peter screaming at a firework, Jess Marie yelling ... haha ... I stuck it all together and called it "Stuff & Banging" ... it's kind of ambient and psychotic all at the same time ... enjoy!

****************************************************************

In video news, I found the following nugget on the Deerhunter blog and it really brought some childhood memories to the surface ...

Bradford Cox had this to say about it:

"and you were watching frosty the snowman.

When all the sudden after it was done a weird barrage of creepy animated rays and lights almost appeared to come out of the television. and you were hypnotized into a psychedelic trance, THAT SCARED THE LIVING,

SHIT OUT OF YOU.That was logophobia and from Sesame street to Mickey

mouse,TV production company's brought you these disstressing shorts to warp your mind with esoteric fucking beams of light and sound.these should be rated R!for brain disturbance"




And all I can say about this next video (by Jonsi of Sigur Ros) is that it makes me really happy:



Here's a truly amazing one by Massive Attack ... just, WOW:



And finally, whenever I listen to A Sunny Day In Glasgow, in my mind I never actually picture people singing ... and it took watching this video to make me suddenly realize that! ha ha:











No comments:

Post a Comment