Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Jim's "The Ghost Of Just This Moment" Mix


I love this mixtape!!! It was created for you by my dear friend, the incredible & incomparable Jim Fahy ... He is a local writer and musician, and you can check out his main squeeze, Teen Getaway, on Facebook, MySpace, and Reverb Nation. You can pick up both physical and digital copies of their latest (and rather awesome) album, Nighthawks, from Interpunk.com ... And this mix is only the 1st of a "two parter" ... so expect more Jim goodness next week!

Here are a few words from Jim himself concerning his creation:

"I’ve always loved making mixes. Somewhere I heard / read that Cameron Crowe liked to make a mix at least once a month so that it could serve as a musical diary of his life. I’m all for it.

I was already in the mood to make a new mix when Paul suggested I make one for Psychic Tuesday. I was honored and so filled with ideas that I ended up making two -- and here’s the first: “I Am The Ghost of Just This Moment”

People do different things with their mixes. Mine always pay particular attention to transitions and narrative. “Ghost” has a little bit of narrative, but is mostly a survey of what I really love listening to at the moment. I also thought it should have a bit of a party vibe. As a result it’s at times, danceable, horny, reflective, and calming… The compressed arc of a weird night out. I hope you enjoy it. The next mix is a bit more introverted…


FYI: First Kentucky Post is a musical alias that I’ve employed for about a decade or so. Keep an eye out for some of this stuff to be released in the near future. "



And now ... HERE is the mix, in all of it's sonic glory! Thanks, Jim!

***************************************************************

I can't believe that January is FINALLY over! It is definitely not my favorite month or time of the year ... but alas, compared to past Januaries, this one was actually a pretty decent one, full of commissions and a group art show and snow and other unexpected treats ... One of which was my friend Danny Gamble commissioning me a portrait of Alabama author, Albert Murray ... it turned out pretty good, too:


Also, the prints of the painting I did for the Alabama Symphony Orchestra production of "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" came in ... I had to sign and number 50 of them so they can sell them in the lobby before the performance:


Also this week was the first Bad News Bearons meeting of the year ... It was great seeing all my old team mates again ... our 1st official practice will be Feb. 21st ... Before the meeting, Bo & Byron gave me a ton of house & spray paint they were getting rid of cuz their moving out of their studios in Magic City Wholesale ... I am very grateful.

***************************************************************
In video news this week I found the trailer for Animal Collective's upcoming MOVIE "Oddsac", which looks like it'll be both scary and weird as Hell! can't wait:



I also found this beautifully funereal gem by Yeah Yeah Yeahs:



And if you have seen the video DVD that comes with Beach House's "Teen Dream", you'll know that the video for "Norway" is basically just an episode of
"Showbeast" with the B.H. song being played over it, which to me is kind of disappointing, since the song is so awesome ... Below is what I consider a MUCH better (and simpler) video:


Last of all, I found a fan-made video to this great Mount Eerie song ... Peter & I had a backyard fire the nite before the "Wolf Moon" happened (it poured rain the actual nite of the full moon) but after I photographed the fire and the moon, I suddenly wanted to hear "No Flashlight" and happily discovered this ... enjoy:












No comments:

Post a Comment