Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Steva's Winter Dancedrums Mix


This mixtape was created for you by the very awesome Steva Casey and it's incredibly different from her last Psychic Tuesday mix, the oh so rockin' Summer '09 Mix ... this one is delightfully danceable, for one thing ... Steva told me she made it as a cure for the "winter doldrums", and there are so many times that I really need such a cure ... cuz even though the 1st day of Spring seems close, we still have 2 whole weeks to wait ... and a lot of times these last cold winter days can really make me lethargic and anxious and well, a bit on the down side ...

Even with that aside, whatever time of year you listen to this particular Steva mix, it really is just insanely alive and kicking ...

so twist that volume knob to 11 and get ready to start shakin that butt, cuz HERE it is! Thanks, again Steva!!!

******************************************************
Speaking of winter sadness, here's some terrible news ... Mark Linkous, the man behind the band Sparklehorse died via suicide this past weekend ... R.I.P.

Here's 2 Sparklehorse videos to honor him and his music:






******************************************************
I've been admittedly a bit of a hermit this past week ... Just ain't feeling social, aside from Bearons practice and coffee mornings ... I did go out to see Kate Merritt Davis' art opening and the early Man Or Astroman reunion show at Bottletree this weekend, which was quite entertaining ... Walker's band opened up and I was surprised by how suddenly punk his sound has become ... Here here, Walker!

On a personal note, I've also been attempting slowly to try & teach myself how to lucid dream ... it seems that I tend to remember my dreams more in the winter, maybe because I don't move around in the bed as much ... I have no idea why, really ... but this particular winter I've been remembering dreams left & right!

I decided that if I am to really take my dreams more seriously and try to have the same sort of awareness in a dream that I have in this reality, then in a way I should also try to treat this reality more like it was a dream and try to do a bit more unpredictable and slightly nonsense things while I'm awake ... to balance it out

Anyway, in light of that, I found a drawer that I originally was going to just smash apart and turn the wood into small paintings, but instead I painted it gold and called it a "wonder box" ... my aim is to very slowly fill it up with random things I've bought that I actually don't even care for ... who knows, maybe I'll end up needing the things later! It's actually a really hard task, "shopping" for things that you don't want or need! ... so far, the box contains only a small net-type bag of chocolate gold coins and some pink gel-filled eye goggles ... haha


the Wonder Box

oh yeah, Laura recently turned me on to the music of Drew Price's Bermuda Triangle, a new Birmingham act that is startlingly fresh and sonically invigorating ... Check out this video to their song "See Through"...

******************************************************

Speaking of videos, I found a slew this week, ranging from funny to to strange to just plain old beautiful!

1st up is this "cute" (a word I usually hate using but you'll see) video that Enon did for Yo Gabba Gabba that I'd never seen before:


Speaking of Enon ... way back in the early 2000s, I used to run Enon's website ... during this time, I also directed 5 videos for them ( "Cruel", "Come Into", "Carbonation", "Murder Sounds" & "Paperweights" ) all of which they have conveniently posted on their myspace page if you wanna take a look

This next one (by The Fresh & Onlys) visually makes me think of the 80's band Cabaret Voltaire ... I dig all the mask action:



Next we have two refreshingly surreal videos ...

1st there's Shearwater's tale of a feathery eyelashed vagabond & his dog:



And then we have Owen Pallet's ultra strange "What in holy fuck's going on in this?" low budget apartment soap collector thriller:



Last of all is some sheer time lapse beauty by the band On Fillmore ... dig:














No comments:

Post a Comment