Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Night Mix part 1


This mixtape will be perfect for:

A. late night drives
B. lying on yer bed & staring into the darkness
C. gazing at a moon-filled or moonless sky
D. anything that requires staying up all night long
E. celebrating the magic powers of nocturne

I feel like the inspiration for this mix is a bit self explanatory, but still I'd like to share my favorite poem by Robert Frost, "Acquainted With The Night" with you ... in a way, this mix is sort of a "soundtrack" to this poem ... enjoy:


"Acquainted With The Night"

I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain -- and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
A luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.


You may now download Night Mix part 1 right HERE.



***********************************************************************


So, this past week was officially Commissions Week for me ... and I not only finished all of the ones I'd been working on, but also found out that I'd sold 4 paintings at Jackson's Bar & Bistro! so ... yay!!!





***********************************************************************


This past Wednesday night was a really fun one cuz I drove down to Montevallo to see RYAN and go to 2 awesome shows starring:


some of the bands played at Grey Gables ... Here's a quaint "Family Feud" type photo starring Devin, Ryan, Portia, Jennifer (asleep?!) and Weston:

Jasper & Leah:

I think this kid is in the band Teaadora:



Ryan took these at Eclipse, where the other bands played ...

Eva, Chris ("who, meee?!") & Weston:

Jasper & Jess Marie:



***********************************************************************


In softball news, Bad News Bearons played our last game of the season (and lost, but who cares, right?!!) This coming weekend however, we will be once again playing the legends of Layfayette, the one and only Krewe Of Doom at the Steel City Showdown part Deux! ...

This game should be pretty epic ... You should come out and witness some real live D-league carnage! haha ... I took the following photos at the BNB press conference this past weekend:

Alan:

Wes:


And here's the video highlights of the conference:





***********************************************************************


Also in previous news, my very good pal John Wendel, was visiting the States (he teaches English In Korea) ... I got to hang out with him a few more times before driving him to the airport Monday ...

here's John & Peter having a beer at The Garages:

and here's Walker & John fresh from walking the railroad tracks of Avondale:



***********************************************************************


YES! Once again ladies & gentlemen, we have an absolute SHIT TON of videos to entertain you on this week's Psychic Tuesday ... let's begin!



First up is this amazingly surreal adventure from Flying Lotus:


Next we have a great new band I've been listening to a lot lately ... Futurebirds:



Wow ... This new collage-type video by Broken Social Scene is simply incredible:


Funny ... after watching, I realized the similarities between that one and this 1988 nugget by Sonic Youth:





Geez Louise! Behold the ultra visual stimulation of this M.I.A. Letterman performance!


And these next two go out to the one and only Ryan Hora:




Victoria posted this on facebook (thanks, Victoria!!!) ... gotta love some classic Dolly:



I don't know if I agree, but Maz says that this sounds like me ... haha :



Matt Schulz posted this Dead Kennedys classic saying this about it:
"This just made me forget how lame ass (real) work is!"
(thanks, Matt!!!):


And finally, Lee Dunnie posted this timeless Laurie Anderson song ... (thanks, Lee!!!) I'd like to dedicate it once again to Ryan :
















No comments:

Post a Comment