Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Found Tape No. 1


I love finding things ... whether it's on the ground or hiding in an abandoned house or waiting for me to buy in a thriftstore or fleamarket ... i love chancing upon things that the world has seemed to have forgotten and no one else appreciates anymore but me ...


This is the case with this "mix" ... Years ago when I was in college, I found this cassette tape lying on the sidewalk outside of the University of Montevallo art building ... As you can see, it simply read "Spirit Songs" and I had no idea what would be on it ... well, side 2 was blank, but side 1 has a very eclectic and oftentimes bizarre mixture of multi-cultural field recordings ranging from Africa to Tibet to Japan to places I can't really identify with just my ears ... haha ... I have a couple of suitcases full of old cassettes and I recently and happily dug this nugget up ...


At any rate it's definitely an interesting and inspiring listen ... and so far, probably the weirdest of mixes to hit the Psychic Tuesday airwaves!


The whole experience of chancing upon this tape again made me think of the incredible zine Found Magazine, which is a virtual treasure trove of found material, be it things on paper, photographs or precious audio findings ...


There's also the site Ffffound, which is another such treasury, although not as gritty as the above site ...


Aaaanywaaaay, I hope you dig what you hear on Found Tape No. 1 ... rest assured, there will be more wholesome found tapes posted in the near future! ENJOY!





**************************************************************************




Before I mention anything else, I'd just like to announce that Nowhere Squares will be playing their 1st reunited B'ham show THIS Thursday at Bottletree's 5 Bands 5 Bucks show, along with not only the amazing Dan Sartain, Mississippi's mind-altering Overnight Lows and Birmingham locals, The Banditos ... I have no idea who the 5th band is, but with this lineup, this show should be an incredible lot of fun! I'm psyched!








Speaking of local music, D.I.Y Birmingham now has its own video channel!!!
Check it out!!!






**************************************************************************





In art news, I spent ALL WEEKEND selling my paintings at the Moss Rock festival, which was fun but chilly and a lot of work (as always when it comes to doing festivals) ... I did well sales-wise, too ... so yay!




Charley sure was glad when I returned home to fill her empty bowl! =




This time around I painted a lot more corporate devils and such =



My set-up =



My sad little Sunday discount sign =



As always, the candy bowl was quite a hit, especially with the kiddies =






I have to admit that overall I'm not much of a "people person" ... and there were a LOT of people there! ... so I'm very glad and relieved to be back in the warm safe "cave" of my bedroom! ... sigh ... the irreplaceable comforts of home ...





**************************************************************************







Guess what?!!


Many videos are on their way ...







David Brown recently posted this incredible Tim Buckley cover by This Mortal Coil on facebook (thanks!) and I am now dedicating it to my one and only man, Ryan =





Speaking of facebook postings, John Wendel posted this great Kinks classic and had this to say about it:


"What a perfect song. And I especially love it this time of year."





Later, John also emailed me a wonderful cover version of the same song, performed by the late great Elliott Smith, saying:

"Wow, gorgeous."




Haha! Then he emailed me an atrocity ... Somehow, the band Def Leppard managed to record their own version of the song ... John did not approve (and neither do I!!!) :

"AAAAAHHHHH... No! No! No!.... WWWWHHHHAAAAAAAAAA! EEUUUGGHHH... FUCK..NOOOOOOOOOO!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH... WHAH-WHAH-WHAH! GGGEEEEUUUUUU! No!


I didn't need to know that exists."




Okay, "Waterloo Sunset"s aside, I also found the following wonderfil videos ...



Here's Deerhunter (playing at Bottletree TONITE! Can't wait!!!) on "The Interface" ... I also dedicate this to Ryan, since he sadly won't be able to make it to the show :( =




This Primary 1 video is just chock-full of stuff to look at =




Another funny one by The Books =




A weird n spooky one care of Corosie =




A lot of nice found super 8 memories from the Tallest Man On Earth =




Chris Stewart posted this classic by The Grass Roots ... (thanks, Chris!) Hey! did you know the guy in stripes is Creed Bratton from TV show "The Office"? wow! =




Speaking of wow, this is "Wishery by Fagottron ... (thanks, Seth Persons for posting this!) =




Both Lisa Cordes and Ryan recently stated that they want to be Ben from the movie "Blue Velvet" for next Halloween ... what a great scene this is =




And for dessert, Ryan is serving us up a gigantic bowl of none other than "Quarry"! mmmmmmmmmmm! =




Also, Peter found this gem of a video ... (thanks!) easily amused are the key words here ... haha =



He also sent me a rather hilarious one by "The Seagulls" =



And on that note, Walter Simon sent me an equally funny Beatles one ... cheers! =






















No comments:

Post a Comment