Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Chris Stewart's Post Apunkalyptic Mix




HEY!!! What do we have here this week? Why, it's another extremely incredible mix provided for us by the stupendous mixmaster, Chris Stewart ...


I can't exactly say why, but I find myself enjoying this particular one the most whilst driving around ... I know it has nothing to do with this time-capsule-of-a-mix's theme, but for some reason I think it makes a tremendously great travel soundtrack ... And if you wanna pull over, leave the doors open and dance on the side of the road, well ... it's perfect for that, too!


But enough of what I think! Here is Chris himself to tell you about the inspiration behind the soundz =


" This mix is centered around the post punk era of the late 70's and early 80's. Most of the bands were formed in the UK, and a lot of the others are from New York. One of my favorite tracks on the mix, however, is "Fantastic" by Kitchen and the Plastic Spoons, formed in Stockholm, Sweden. But no matter where they were from, the sounds they all created had one thing in common: they are all very raw. There is nothing very polished here, but they all seem to shine anyway.

I really enjoyed putting this mix together. It's very cohesive and focused on a specific time in music history that I wish I had been around for. This mix is great for driving around in great weather as well as finally getting around to that spring cleaning you've been putting off. It's also great for dancing, as long as you don't know how to. I hope you enjoy it.

-Chris "



Thanks a ton, Chris ... and again, WELL DONE!!! Here here!!!
Also, holy shit! Just dig that cover art! haha ...


All right, folks ... here it be ... the incomparable "Post Apunkalyptic" mix ... ENJOY! =





Wanna download it ... You can do just that RIGHT HERE.





****************************************************************************




And just in case you enjoyed the last one, here is programme 4 of Ghostbox Records' very eclectic and quite wonderful Belbury Radio =






****************************************************************************




Here in Alabama this past Wednesday, April 27th all hell broke lose tornado-wise ... I'm so glad we Birminghamians were spared. It looks like most of the rest of our state wasn't so lucky ... It was an insaaaanely huge and devastating storm =





You can donate money to tornado victims RIGHT HERE.




****************************************************************************




2 days after all of that chaotic weather was the Magic City Art Connection festival ...



Here are some of my pieces drying on the porch =




And then ... ta-da ... Here they are all set up at the festival =




All-in-all, it went really well from start to finish, ESPECIALLY if you compare it to last year's festival! ... the weather was surprisingly clear and sunny (I even got a sunburn!) and I ended up selling a good deal of my works!


The only weird "highlight" of the whole event was fellow artist, Michael Banks approaching me at my tent to 1st compliment and flatter me, then tell me that my prices were way too low, THEN (!) tear several of my $20 keyholders off the display walls and hand them out to various folks standing there, yelling "Hey! Want one?! He's GIVING em away!!!" ... He then handed me a wad of 20 dollar bills and walked away ... Wow.


Michael's work is pretty amazing and I'm a big fan, but really, man ... don't you think that's an odd way of trying to get your point across? haha =








****************************************************************************




In a bit of "music news", my friend Gary Lee, who lives in Portland, started a blog talking about and reviewing 7 inch singles and he kicked the whole thing off with an old one by my own band, Nowhere Squares! Thanks a million, Gary!



You can dig it RIGHT HERE.





****************************************************************************





V...I...D...E...O...................T...I...M...E




1st up, we have a lovely one that Laura Ledbetter sent to me by The Soft Moon ... I find it both hypnotic and beautiful ... thanks, Laura! =



Ryan sent me this deranged-looking, yet enticing trailer ... hurrah for oddities! =


Speaking of Ryan, he also sent me this one, which I think is pretty incredible =




Matt Schulz posted this funny one by Ciccone Youth because it happened to be Kim Gordon's birthday ... thanks, Matt! =





Dessert - time




Speaking of birthdays, Kyle Farmer recently sent this singing cat video to Merrilee on her b-day and it makes me laugh =




Aaron Isley recently posted this Kids In The Hall nugget (cheers!) =






















No comments:

Post a Comment