Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mysterious Mix



This mixtape will be perfect for :

A. Feeling uncertain
B. Asking the "magic eightball" a batch of questions
C. Feeling mysterious
D. Accepting the fact that life is always unpredictable
E. Celebrating mysteries in general


So, as mentioned in last week's blog, I am smack-dab in the middle of moving (across town) ... The experience so far has been a bit frustrating and overwhelming, but I'm starting to see the light at the end of it all and thus a feeling of mysterious excitement arises ...


I've lived in this house with my brother for nearly 7 years (!) and not only am I going to miss certain things about living here, I have accumulated a giant hoard of stuff within those years, most of which I need to store away or (even better!) throw away ... hmmmmmm ... So I'm glad I still have 2-3 weeks to sift through all of my junk and slowly move my valuables (room by room) into my new existence ...


I'm not going to go into them all, but there are still several things regarding this transition that I have yet to figure out ... sigh ... Thus, there is that sense of uncertainty and mystery hanging over me as I pack stuff away and haul stuff around ...


I guess my "goal" for this playlist was to, in a way, capture that sense ... for I'm actually a big fan of mystery and intrigue ... and I decided that instead of being frustrated and disheartened by it, I should instead CELEBRATE IT and enjoy it ...



Speaking of enjoying ... HERE is the mix ...


ENJOY!!!!!! =




And if you dug it, you can download it HERE.





*************************************************************************



And as a bonus musical surprise, I'm including this rather awesome Neon Marshmallow Mix created by Beau Wanzer to showcase some of the sounds you'd hear if you go to the Neon Marshmallow music festival in Chicago =





Here's the tracklist =

Haas-Bartel: "Go Go Go"
Conrad Schnitzler: "Das Tier"
B.E.F.: "Music to Kill Your Parents By"
Derdakunst: "D.L.T."
Nocturnal Emissions: "No Separation (No F.A.)"
Viki: "No Date"
Die Form: "Invalid"
Chris Carter: "Electrodub 1"
Robert Lawrence & Mark Phillips: "Computer Violence"
Asmus Tietchens: "Blutmun"




*************************************************************************





Hey look! Fellow Birmingham artist Scott Thigpen recently created this portrait of me ... Brilliant stuff! Thanks, Scott! =






*************************************************************************





Ryan showed me this amazing art where Australian artist, Liz Jones creates "rubbish rainbows" made from trash that she found on the beaches ... Wow! You can VIEW THE SLIDESHOW HERE.




*************************************************************************






Wanna watch a bunch of cooooool videos? Well, here come some !!!






1stly, a pretty solo one by Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore =




Dan Deacon recently released a craaaazy short film entitled "Hilvarenbeek" ... dig it =




Wow ... this new Battles video really sends me =




Stop-animation goodness brought to you by Times New Viking =




Jimmy Gordon posted this astounding Tears For Fears cover ... thanks! =




Ryan sent me this very excellent one by Bangs (from Sudan) =




Weird ... I don't know exactly what's going on in this one by The Soap Scums, but supposedly one of the masked musicians is actually Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel fame ... hmmmm =




Erin James posted this classic clip by Billy Bragg ... such a good song ... cheers! =




And Laura Ledbetter sent me this beautiful kitty-centric one by Atlas Sound ... muchos gracias! =







Need some laughter to brighten yer day? Well here's a 6 course dessert!!!




Brian Cornett recently sent this to my brother Peter (danke!) ... Bizarr-o =




Scott Thigpen (who did the above portrait) sent this next one saying : "this could be the scariest thing you see all day" ... haha (thanky!) =




And here's my wig-wearing old band, Every Alice On Earth at a reunion in Montevallo covering AC/DC =




Do you appeciate The Beatles? If so, you may want to kill these sadly ignorant people! haha =




And lastly, just for fun, I decided to post 2 Youtube nuggets by the hilarious Liam Sullivan =



























No comments:

Post a Comment