Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Focal Point : Julian Lynch


I'd been wanting to do something like this on here for quite a while ... I just didn't know how I wanted to approach it ...


Anyway, I finally started it ... This is the 1st installment of my "Focal Point" series on Psychic Tuesday, where one particular artist or band is showcased (by me or a guest), allowing listeners to explore their music and sample a variety of their songs from different albums.


It's quite a wonderful feeling discovering some incredible music that you'd never heard before (whether it's literally new or not) and getting elated, enthralled and enlightened by it so much that you run out and tell all of your friends about it, hoping that they'll be equally elated, enthralled and enlightened by it.


So from now on, the 1st Tuesday of the month will introduce a new Focal Point artist or band ... If anyone wants to make such a mix, by all means let me know and I'll showcase your discovery!


This month's focal point is the ever amazing Julian Lynch.



But it made me wonder "What will his next album be like????"

Sometime in February of this year, I saw a piece on Pitchfork (by Joe Colly) that gave me a good hint =



"Julian Lynch's 2010 breakout, Mare, was in essence a vibe record-- the kind of patient LP you needed to sit with for half an hour or so to soak up all its mood and texture. For the eponymous track off his upcoming album, Terra, Lynch evokes a similar atmosphere while taking a step toward more structured pop. There are several of the elements we expect from his work-- a worldly approach to sounds that stems from his interest in ethnomusicology and a loose, almost jammy feel-- but also the kind of sticky hook he tended to sidestep before. Using his reedy falsetto and insistent guitar strumming, Lynch paddles through the song's soft rock and synthy folk passages, building melody easily along the way. Seemingly at-odds instruments like saxophone and hand-drum pitter patter share space, but each is employed in finding a comfortable groove that rides out until song's end. It's basically Lynch's signature earthy ambiance nudged in a cleaner, slightly more accessible direction, which suggests he's growing with his audience and taking a more inclusive approach with Terra. We're curious to hear more."

I was too ... VERY curious ... So then Terra came out (in late April) ... and I was totally hooked ... I realize now that verbal descriptions fo this person's music are quite useless ... You just have to hear it ... and feel it ... The Terra album sort of unlocked a door for me ... I no longer have to be in "just the right mood" to listen to Lynch's music ... I find myself putting his albums on all the time now ... The mood of his music has enveloped me ...

Enough words! HAVE A LISTEN!!!



(You can download this mix HERE if you like)




If you at all dug what you heard, here is a full-stream of the brilliant Terra album =







And on personl note, after Ryan & I moved into our new place, I realized that our lush jungly backyard is the perfect visual accompaniment to that album ... haha ...( As posted before, this album is like a soundtrack to my present Life) ... This is my view from my bedroom window =


You can read some very enlightening Julian Lynch interviews HERE and HERE , and below are
4 videos fo you viewing pleasure ... ENJOY!








********************************************************************************************



In some shitty personal news, my poor was the victim to a 3 in the morning hit-and-run crime this past weekend ... It was the best car I ever had ... Now it's severely wounded and ghetto as hell cuz I can't afford to have it repaired ... Curses to the culprit ... At least Ryan and I can still drive it ...

witness the tragedy =






********************************************************************************************


In some slightly more uplifting and cheerful local news, via facebook I recently discovered a shockingly great band from Athens, Alabama called The Shakes ... Listening to them makes one feel like you've gone back in time to the pure R&B Soul of the early 60's ... phenomenal!

Check out a few of their songs RIGHT HERE.

If you wanna see em live, they'll actually be performing at Bottletree August 31st! Yes!!!





********************************************************************************************




Hey! MTV turned 30 years old yesterday!!! Here is their 1st broadcast ever ... my how innocent they were =







Speaking of music television, an MTV show that once showcased underground and "alternative" (indie) bands, "120 Minutes" is back ... You can view their 1st NEW episode (featuribg The Cults and Jeff The Brotherhood and more)
RIGHT HERE.




********************************************************************************************




and now for ...




****************PPPPPPSYCHIC VVIDEOOOOOO TIMMMME!!!!*******************



(Funny ... When it gets to this part of the blog, I always feel like an MTV VJ myself when I'm introducing the videos on here ... haha )






1stly, here's a new one from The Drums, and it's one of my favorite songs right now =



Andy Stewart posted this amazing one by Chad Van Gaalen ... thanks! =



Wow ... this is pretty marvelous one from Bjork, directed by Michel Gondry =





Brian Teasley posted this bit of classic French punk madness from Metal Urbain ... cheers! =





I don't necessarily dig the below LCD Soundsystem video, but someone did an amazing Lego scene-for-scene version of it, so I figured folks need to 1st see what was being imitated =




Aaaaand ... what you just saw, but in the form of Lego ... wow! =





Some wholesome scrambled screen goodness from Holy Other =





Here are two fom veteran Psychic Tuesday contributor, Chris Stewart (Gracias!) =


1.




2.



If ya didn't have patience enough to watch that entire "120 Minutes" episode, here's the Jeff The Brotherhood they played on there =








Ready for some smile-inducing dessert ???








My man, Ryan posted this nugget of pure Japanese pop insanity ... warning : it may scar you for life! =


Speaking of Japanese insanity ... I so love this classic Cibo Matto video that Eileen Kiernan posted ... Danke! =





Ryan also posted this scary rap boy video ... THe guy makes me think of malfunctioning robot moe than a human being ... Yikes =




And lastly, I thought I'd post this oldie-but-goodie Art Of Noise clip, simply because it's so very whimsical and wonderful ... I wish there were more videos like this one =































No comments:

Post a Comment