Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Focal Point : Yello





















This week on Psychic Tuesday we'll be exploring the eccentric 80's sounds of Swiss electronic music pioneers, Yello. Dieter Meier (vocals) and Boris Blank (synthesizers) have been pumping out their ingeniusly catchy and bizarre brand of music since the late 70's.


You're more than likely already familiar with Yello and you don't even know it. Their song "Oh Yeah" is played in it's entirety during the final scene (alongside the credits) of the film "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" =




The 1st time I discovered Yello was way back when on a TV show called "Night Flight", which often spotlighted the music videos of obscure and off-the-wall bands. It was the video for their song "Bostich" and it more or less frightened me. Haha ... It definitely was like nothing I had ever encountered both music or video-wise. I didn't know exactly what to make of it and my 1st thought was "These people are INSANE. What exactly is going on here?" haha

It was a bit mind-blowing, because at the time (and even now, really) there was nothing else that remotely sounded like Yello. I found myself the very next day going into the music store and seeking out an album by them. What I found was their amazing opus, "You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess". I played it over and over again, enjoying it more each time I listened. I recorded it for my friends and attempted to turn as many people as I could find on to my new-found treasure.


What I find so rewarding about the majority of Yello's sound is simply how crazy and playful it is. So many of their songs astound me to the point of making me laugh out loud at just how absurd they are. Dieter Meier directs all of their videos and every single one of them is an ultra unique thing of brightly-colored beauty...I included a slew of them after the mix.


So, here they are ... YELLO : A highly enjoyable (and extremely danceable!) duo ... Get ready to be highly entertained!!! =









********************************************************************************************






Videos! Videos! Videos! And each and every one of them are by ... you guessed it!
YELLO!


"Bostich"



"The Evening’s Young"



"Pinball Cha Cha"



"I Love You"



"Live At The Roxy"



"Oh Yeah"



"Call It Love"



"The Race"



"Tied Up"



"Planet Dada"
















No comments:

Post a Comment