Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Wyman Radio


 A dear friend and colorful character from my University of Montevallo days has passed into another dimension.

His name was David Wyman and he will be missed and remembered by many.
This play list was compiled on Youtube by John Wendel, with some assistance from David Faust. These songs seem to embody dear Wyman's spirit in both whimsical and woeful measure. With this mix, I decided to try and crystallize the clear mental image I have of a typical Sunday afternoon at Dave's place where he is joyfully rolling his cigarettes, sipping drinks, brewing coffee and chatting ... listening and humming to the radio all the while.

My last time hanging out with him was memorable. It was at a Hoodlums reunion in Orr Park, circa 2008. It had just turned twilight and fireflies were flickering around. I shared a few sips of whiskey from a flask with him and he told me that he was surprised that I was still alive (!) ... Then we heard some distant music that sounded like penny whistles coming from the woods. I stopped to listen closer and asked "What's that?!" His face suddenly lit up with a knowing grin and he said "Oooooh! That's the fairies!"

"David Wyman, our dear lunatic friend, you are missed. There are so many songs that bring you to mind every time I hear them, or that come to mind whenever I think of you." 
- John Wendel






You can download the playlist RIGHT HERE.








































No comments:

Post a Comment