Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Charlene's MIx It Up^ Mix


This mixtape was created for you by the brilliantly beautiful Charlene (a.k.a. Charlie) Smith ... and it's a truly exciting mix to behold ... Funny how just last week we heard another Charlie (Sanders)'s excellent wintery eclectic and magically moody mix ...

and now we have a mix that's really the polar opposite by Charlie Smith ... a warm, loud and raucously rock & roll adventure in sound ... Appropriate, really since the temperatures this week have risen up to the lower 60's!

Charlie says she's really stoked about this mix, because a lot of the bands on it are ones she's freshly discovered ... And you can hear the excitement in the music too somehow! Speaking of which, I need to say that I'm very grateful to Charlie for always turning me on to so many great bands & videos! Thanks, Charlie! Speaking of which, she's gonna be doin her own blog with mixes on it soon ... I'll link it up when it's ready!

So get yer dancin boots out cuz HERE it is !!!


*****************************************

It's the Birmingham run-off mayoral elections today so I'm about to head out and VOTE for Patrick Cooper ... I hope everybody else in this city runs out and does the same! We don't need another criminal in office

This week has been full of small commissions and finishing up small works for Naked Art's "Microlove" Valentine themed art show ... I also went insane and completely deep-cleaned the kitchen while Peter was away visiting his long-distance girlfriend, Christine ... I don't know what came over me (the warmer weather?) but I'm glad it happened! That place was a collection of strangely organized piles until now

Also, Peter and I's gas bill was a whopping $395 this month! So I went out and bought a ton of ugly blankets and sleeping bags to put over every entrance and doorway in our place for insulation (witness the photos below ... somehow they all make me think of Harmony Korine's "Gummo" ... haha)

and on a random note, this is just weird ... on Google maps I typed in Peter & I'd address and there's this whole street view thing ... they must've done it some months to a a year ago cuz the old tree is still there in front of our place (the tan house with screen-in porch on top)
oh yeah, sadly the great Memphis rocker Jay Reatard (29) died this past week ... R.I.P. Jay
(click video if picture is chopped off)



*****************************************

This week, Charlie herself took care of the "video news" ... Take it away, Charlie!


Dex Romweber Duo - Dex and his sister are coming to Bottletree on January 31st opening for Exene Cervenka




Are Friends Electric? -I might love this version more than the original if that's possible. These guys have a ton of amazing covers.



Au Pairs - Come Again live from Urgh! A Music War.. the Au Pairs are one of my favorite bands. Think female fronted Gang of Four. FYI, the song is about faking orgasms



And this one's actually on the mix ... Nervous Patterns was a short lived project by the extraordinarily talented Jay Reatard and Alicja Trout ... brilliant!









3 comments:

  1. thanks for the doing the deep clean!
    it looks better than it ever has!
    i barely recognized it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 2nd track is great. I love Jail. I saw them last year at a gay bar in Montgomery. Really fun show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny that the man who inspired the white stripes has come around to such a similar set up again!

    ReplyDelete