Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Andrea's Soundtrack for the Rapture Mix part 2



Some folks take the concept of "mix making" to a whole new level ... and Andrea Paschal is one of those folks.


She took an idea, the so-called "rapture", or end of the world (that was due to happen back on May 21st), and created a complete 2 part epic soundtrack!!! Witness the incredible detail that Andrea put into this when I posted Part One of the mixtape and asked her to explain it ... (HERE IS PART ONE).

Here is a snippet of Andrea's explanation =

"After hearing about the news of Harold Camping’s approaching Rapture date:May 21st 2011 (Strangely enough just after into watching the series Aftermath: Population Zero) I was immediately intrigued…and inspired. It had been awhile since I had sat down to make a good mix….and this was just the sort of thing to really get me going.
When I sit down to make a mix, often times I have a certain person in mind… or sometimes it is just stuff I am into at the moment …but every once in awhile that mix is created to or tell a story…. whether it is real or made up…to capture a specific feeling or memory that I want to have forever (music is so vital to me for that).
Those mixes are, to me , always the most fun!
So… I set out to create the perfect Rapture Mix…you know… just in case!
While I was making it, I thought about Mr. Camping’s Rapture. You know, the one with the horses and the demons and thecoming of Jesus and all of that fun stuff… but if you look up the definition of rapture you will see the other two definitions (don’t worry I went to the trouble for you):

rap·ture (rpchr)
n.
1. The state of being transported by a lofty emotion; ecstasy.
2. An expression of ecstatic feeling. Often used in the plural.
3. The transporting of a person from one place to another, especially to heaven. "


Thanks, A!

Well, the 1st part was so much to take in that I decided to give the listeners a bit of a breather before we unleashed Part 2, which is quite a treat for the ears ... AND for the eyes ... for Andrea took it upon herself to make a story out of the song titles ... which I really think enhances the entire listening experience and also makes the mix so much more fun :


See, it all started on The Night of the Lotus Eaters1.
You seemed so scared of my Spellwork2
but little did you know I could build you Castles in the Snow3.
Sure…Everybody Wants to Rule the World4,
but now here on a Night Like This5 ,
all I see left to rule is a Kingdom of Doom6.
A Shattered Shine7 seems to cast it’s gleam
upon The Day of the Lords8.
Now I truly know that He Lied About Death9.
Don’t Save Us From the Flames10 cause there’s no where else to go.
Persephone 11has come just to tell me so.
Just Make Love12 while you still can
and wait for your Angel13 to come and take you away.
My last wish is be in this moment with you…
and just Unravel14 From the Edge of the Deep Green Sea15.
Tonight we will look smaller than we ever did Under the Milky Way 16
and It’s seems like everybody’s got the Jesus Fever17
…but for us, you and me , it was the Perfect Day18


(I should also add that it's also a very danceable mix as well!)


and now, here it is ...
Andrea Paschal's Soundtrack to the Rapture Part 2: Don’t Save Us From The Flames








And here are all the artists :

1. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
2. Austra
3. Twin Shadow
4. Tears for Fears
5, The Cure
6. The Good, The Bad and the Queen
7. Crystal Stilts
8. Joy Division
9. Stars
10. M83
11. Cocteau Twins
12. Daft Punk
13. Massive Attack
14. Bjork
15. The Cure
16. The Church
17. Kurt Vile
18. Lou Reed


You can download the epicness RIGHT HERE.



If you scroll down, Andrea has also picked out a slew of rad videos for this week ...
Thanks so much, Andrea!



*********************************************************************************




Speaking of grrrreat mixes, while scanning the intranets, I found this rather wonderful Summer mix called "lovers melt" by Flying Lotus. You can indulge in it HHHHEEEERRRRREEEE.




*********************************************************************************




So far, this year has been chock-full of reeeaaally great music ... and one of my favorite sites, Altered Zones decided to compile a lot of (what they considered) the best songs of 2011 so far ... To a large extent, I agree with this list ... DIG IT =








*********************************************************************************




So this week I'm working with kids at the Bham Museum of Art's Arts Camp, but last week I not only did some new paintings (mostly snakes) for Jackson's Bar & Bistro,



but I also was commissioned (by Kate Phillips) to paint a classic photo of twins by Diane Arbus =







*********************************************************************************





Aaaalssso I've been converting my sister's husband's family home movies to digital for a birthday present ...




It's crazy cuz there are roughly 80 reels (2-3 minutes long each)



But it's pretty amazing watching all of this stuff from the distant past ... I think I'm the 1st person to watch these in probably 25 years or more ... wow ...







*********************************************************************************




I had to throw this in ... Ryan took this great photo of Charley in dreamland ... Her leg was standing straight up and sort of curled ove at the top ... haha =







*********************************************************************************




Okay ... Shameless self promotion time!

My band, Nowhere Squares will be opening for the phenomenally crraazy Nobunny THIS THURSDAY July 14th at Bottletree ... If yer in the area, it's only $10 ... treat youself!



Here is a taste of Nobunny on "The Creepy Touch" show =







*********************************************************************************





VIDEOS VIDEOS VIDEOS VIDEOS VIDEOS VIDEOS VIDEOS VIDEOS !!!


Brought to you this week by Miss ANDREA PASCHAL!!!


Take it away A! =


"I have been in a definite musical mood lately and I am perfectly happy just to stay right here....so much music that is making my ears so happy. it is like the moment of getting a new crush

so here is my musical dear diary in video format...xx-ap "


Kurt Vile: In My Baby's Arms
*I heart Kurt Vile....bigtime....for all sorts of times....'nuff said.




John Maus: Do your Best
*this song was just what i was looking for...




Geneva Jacuzzi: Bad Moods
*If you missed her at bottletree last week...here is one of my favorite videos...featuring Ariel from Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti




Lykke Li- I follow Rivers
* this one goes out to Hollis...turn it up and dance!!!!




nite jewel- artificial intelligence




Glass Candy: Feeling without Touching
**I always love a piece of Glass Candy!




ford & lopatin :: too much MIDI
*while waiting on the new M83 i guess this will help me pass the time....




R. Stevie Morre: I wish I Could Sing
*for hanging in your room thinking about making some music...




hotel mexico-dear les friends:
*also on repeat...



elite gymnastics- omamori
**my new favorite suuuuuper late night/ early morning jam




washed out- you and i.
*this new album is killing me it is so good.
I couldn't pick between this track ...



or this one:
Washed Out: Amor Fati



















No comments:

Post a Comment