Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Jess Marie's Old Spotted Blue cassette side B



This mixtape was created many moons ago by one of my greatest friends, Miss Jess Marie Walker ... She is not only a talented artist, she's also a very wonderful teacher and mother ...


This is truly a one-of-a-kind compilation, ripped from a genuine audio cassette ... Waaay back in January 2011, I posted Side A ... Which you can listen to RIGHT HERE ...


and now ... 7 months later ... we have Side B for you, in all of it's Southern nostalgic glory!


Even though Jess Marie made this tape for me quite some time ago (it really reminds me of when I used to live in Montevallo), I've found myself digging it out every couple months or so to give it another listen while I'm painting or writing or just plain old goin about my business! I find it somehow extremely playable ...


Speaking of playable, Side 2 is really just as wonderful as Side 1 ... I like listening to it on Summer days because it has a couple of songs that make me long for Autumn & Winter (Peggy Lee's "September In The Rain" and Opal Fox Quartet's "Someone's House Always Burns On Christmas", but aside from that it also contains a rich and eclectic collection of old country, jazz and even ends on a lovely experimental note with John Cage's radio drama, "The City Wears a Slouch Hat", a piece I could listen to over and ove and over (I love the pots and pans rain sound effects!) ...


So here is the track list =




and here is the mix ...
Side B of the grand "Old Spotted Blue" mix by Jess Marie Walker ...
Thanks, Jess!

ENJOY!!!!!!





Wanna download it?
Well ya can RIGHT HERE.





**********************************************************************************




1st up, a bit of randomness ...



Ed Reynolds, who I used to work with when I delivered Black & Whites, posted this as his facebook status recently and I thought it was pretty funny ... thanks, Ed! =


As I pressed the pump to put ketchup on my cornbread at the NASA cafeteria last week, I soon learned that it was instead French dressing. So NASA can launch the most complex machine ever built into orbit and bring it back. But they confuse French dressing and ketchup. But I gotta tell you, French dressing and cornbread is damn good. I've dubbed this newly discovered delicious delight "NASA cornbread."



Also, Ryan sent me this horrifically funny badly stuffed animals page ... my god, I never knew taxidermy could look so nightmarish!

You can dig the disasters HERE.



And oh yeah ...one of my very favorite record labels Ghost Box Music just put out a new album by The Advisory Circle called "As The Crow Flies" ... and a member of that band, John Brooks created a quite awesome "Summer Gathering Sequence" mix to celebrate =







**********************************************************************************




So I've been working with kiddies again at the Bham Museum of Art's Arts Camp these past weeks, but aside from that, my band Nowhere Squares played at Bottletree this past Thursday, opening up for Nobunny, who never showed his face except on stage and hid in the backstage airstream the whole time ... It was a fun show though, and we debuted a brand new song, "Don't Fit In"! Here's the set list, written on a paper plate ... haha =








**********************************************************************************




Also this week, one of my best friends ever, John Wendel visited the States ... he teaches English in Korea ... we got to hang out a good deal, which was a grrrreat ...


Here's Justin and John deep in conversation at the river =








**********************************************************************************





V I D E O T I M E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!




Ian Frearson posted this bit of TV history, saying:

"You knew something different was about to start when you saw and heard this!"
Thanks, Ian! =




The Cults go back in time in this grand video =


I love this awesomely animated one that Ryan sent me =




Ryan also turned me on to the incredible Irish band Girls Names (their album "Dead To Me" rules!) =




Another great one by Girls Names =




Slim Twig goodness =



Moonface (Spencer Krug) who is playing this Sunday nite at Bottletree! =




Some psychedelic visual fun, care of Leyland Kirby =




Weston Flippo posted this trailer for a 60's show called "the subject is jazz" ... it rules and I wish I could watch every episode ... cheers, Weston! =




This Nyota clip is pretty astounding =



Multiple Strokes for multiple folks =







How bout some sweet and hilarious dessert ???




Haha ... Chris Stewart posted this, stating :
"now that we have a dog, I don't have to know this anymore"
(Cheers!) =




Seth Persons posted this very silly "rent-a-friend" VHS treasure ... gracias! =




Sarah Harrell posted this Sarah Hyland thriftstore adventure ... haha ... danke, Sarah(s)! =




This "baby mustache" from Ryan is pretty ridiculous, but that doesn't mean it's not brilliant! =




Ryan also sent me this hilarious bit of Japanese James Brown madness! haha =




All good things come in threes, so here's a 3rd one from Ryan! This time it's "Little Eden" choking on hairspray in slow-motion ... classic! =




And speaking of Little Eden, Matt Goodin posted this slowed down version of her performing her soon-to-be smash hit single "Cutie Patootie" ... thanks, Matt! =










No comments:

Post a Comment