Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hello Mr. New Year Mix


This mixtape will be perfect for:
A. end of the year bonfires
B. making a list of resolutions
C. mentally preparing for very cold weather
D. starting over
E. ringing in the new year

HERE it is for yer celebrational pleasure.

****************************************

Well there goes another Christmas and here comes another new year ... for me, it was actually a very good one ... I have survived on my art and paintings for 3 1/2 years now! And in terms of the last decade, looking back on it, it was a pretty amazing one, especially in terms of new music ...

This past weekend I had a splendid time in Mobile celebrating the yuletide season with my family and friends ... but I have to admit that I'm glad to be back in the solitude of my own bedroom with my ever-loving kitty, Charley and I'm excited about getting some "end of the year things" done, like tidying some areas of the house, clearing away some piles that have accumulated and backing up all the stuff that's slowly ended up on my external hard drives ... hurrah!

I'm also gonna be finishing up a few big paintings that will part of a group show at Litebox Gallery here in town ...

On a different note, a very sad thing that occurred over the xmas weekend was the unexpected death of Vic Chesnutt ... I'd been a fan of his pretty much since he started putting out albums and it seems unreal that he's gone now ... Earlier this year, he released a very wonderful but (in places) pretty grim album called "At The Cut" ... here's a telling song from it:



I dedicate this song by The Smiths to the memory of Vic ... He & his music will be missed:


On a lighter note, and in light of a new year approaching, here's The Walkmen:



Also, 2 New Years ago Radiohead treated us to this short film, "Scotch Mist"

and finally, the Tom Waits video below (and the entire album it comes from, actually) always bizarrely makes me think of New Year's Eve ... Happy New Year, everybody! ENJOY!!!



One last thing!
Trent Thomas turned me on to THIS!!!
Thanks, Trent!









No comments:

Post a Comment